This 4-day intensive, individually tailored conversational, medical and cultural Spanish Workshop consists of over 45 hours of medical dialogues, role-plays, many colorful visual aids, cross-cultural discussions, "edutainment", daily practice, plus evening study with a Text workbook and USB Flash drive including all 15 corresponding lessons (Flash Drive available for $35). This method is highly suitable for those with limited time who must use their new language skills immediately.
To register for this intensive 4-day class, please visit our Schedule & Registration page for class dates and locations. Classes are limited in size to be able to give personal attention to each participants needs. Early registration is suggested to guarantee your place.
Participants who complete this 4-day intensive course will:
- Acquire the ability to interview patients in Spanish in a culturally competent manner, take a medical history, conduct a physical examination, give prescription and follow-up instructions and intervene with medical emergencies, while taking cultural sensitivity into account to increase compliance.
- Recognize a Spanish vocabulary of 1,500 to 2,000 general and medical terms.
- Develop a good flow of speech in present, future, and past tenses, as well as the command form.
- Obtain some degree of Cultural Competency concerning time, personal space, family dynamics, foods, health and particularly medical care.
- Utilize the skills necessary to continue language acquisition through daily practice and personal experience.
*Intermediate/Advanced students will be able to do all of this with more facility and fluency utilizing more idiomatic expressions, complex tenses (conditional, present & past progressive, present & past perfect tenses), as well as the subjunctive mood and its various tenses.
All courses approved for CME credits
ACCME/AMA PRA Accreditation Statement
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of The University of Arizona College of Medicine at the Arizona Health Sciences Center and Rios Associates.
The University of Arizona College of Medicine at the Arizona Health Sciences Center is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Arizona College of Medicine at the Arizona Health Sciences Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 45 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This program is approved by the American College of Emergency Physicians for 45 hours of Category 1 CMEs.
This program has also been reviewed and is acceptable for 45 prescribed hours by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
Once registered in any Arizona, California or Nevada class, you are welcome to repeat any of our 4 Day seminars (at the same level) as often as you would like in AZ, CA, or NV within a 1 year period of time for only $399 per refresher course. La Paz, México seminar excluded, however, there is a $100 discount for the La Paz, México workshops if you have taken any course with us within a one year period.
* If a class does not meet the minimum registration size, we NEVER cancel a class. Therefore, if this were to occur, we would work with each participant to arrange alternative options, such as, Virtual Training Sessions or Personalized One on One Sessions. In the unlikely event this were to occur, we want you to know that: We've got you covered at all times!
For pricing information or to Register go to the Schedule & Registration page
WHAT OUR PAST CLASS PARTICIPANTS SAY:
It is a must for any health professional wishing to communicate better with their Spanish-speaking patients.
Glenn T Rogers - MD, author of English-Spanish Spanish-English Medical Dictionary
Critical to my practice. Patients are much more trusting and open when you directly communicate with them.
Quentin Shaw DDS - Phoenix, AZ
Great course, extremely valuable.
Wayne True, M.D.- San Diego, California
I can provide better care since learning to speak Spanish.
Janet Cunningham, MD - Glendale, CA
I have learned a tremendous amount at each of the three Rios workshops that I have attended over the years. I have given Medical lectures in Spanish in México, Argentina and Chile. Many thanks to Rios Associates - they do a great job!
Dr. G. N. Goldberg, Dermatologist - Tucson, AZ
Anyone that deals with Spanish speaking patients would benefit from this program.
Kat Olsson, R.N., Ph.D. - Psych - Sacramento, CA
Rios Associates is without a doubt the most useful medical Spanish CME course. Dr. Rios is a true professional at teaching language and culture pertinent to enhancing the patient-provider interaction.
Isaac Siew, M.D.- Amarillo, Texas
Excellent medical Spanish CME training! I loved the class so much that over the years I have taken two more refresher courses to continue to expand my skills.