La Paz, México Courses
This 4-day intensive, individually tailored conversational, medical and cultural Spanish CME Workshop consists of over 45 hours of medical dialogues, role-plays, many colorful visual aids, cross-cultural discussions, "edutainment", daily practice, plus evening study with a Text workbook and USB Flash drive including all 15 corresponding lessons (Flash Drive available for $35). This method is highly suitable for those with limited time who must use their new language skills immediately.
To register for this intensive 4-day class, please visit our Schedule & Registration page for class dates and locations. Classes are limited in size to be able to give personal attention to each participant's needs. Early registration is suggested to guarantee your place.
Participants who complete this 4-day intensive course will:
- Acquire the ability to interview patients in Spanish in a culturally competent manner, take a medical history, conduct a physical examination, give prescription and follow-up instructions and intervene with medical emergencies, while taking cultural sensitivity into account to increase compliance.
- Recognize a Spanish vocabulary of 1,500 to 2,000 general and medical terms.
- Develop a good flow of speech in present, future, and past tenses, as well as the command form.
- Obtain a degree of Cultural Competency concerning time, personal space, family dynamics, foods, health and particularly medical care.
- Utilize the skills necessary to continue language acquisition through daily practice and personal experience.
Our Medical Spanish & Cultural Competency course will be held at:
El Hotel Seven Crown (Centro Histórico)
Revolucion de 1910 No. 1090, Zona Central
La Paz, BCS, Mexico
If you wish to lodge at Hotel Seven Crown, you can reserve a room requesting any specific needs you may have by calling the hotel at 011-52-612-122-3747 and asking for Conchita.
The location is within walking distance to the malecón (boardwalk), restaurants, shops, pharmacies, the cathedral, and the main museum.
You are welcome to stay there at a discounted rate for our attendees. Please contact Conchita at the number above for rates.
There are serval other nearby hotels and Airbnb's available for all budgets.
La Paz is located approximately 2 - 2½ hours by car from Cabo San Lucas. It is a very peaceful, calm “pueblo”, without a great number of tourists, and where many locals do not speak English. (Thus…much Spanish practice is involved.) La Paz has an international airport and it would probably be best to check online as to which carrier and location (La Paz or los Cabos) would offer you the best rates.
In addition to the class, you will have daily homework from the textbook as well as “townwork” where you will have the opportunity to meet and talk to the local population getting directions, acquiring pricing information and availability of medications, products, etc. You will also have the opportunity to observe and/or become involved with the local culture, habits, and medical community.
We will also have the hospital tour arranged one of the afternoons.
In addition, we will have a guest speaker who is a well-known and highly regarded physician in the community who is always happy and eager to share valuable information and answer questions.
You will still have time to enjoy the city in the late afternoons and evenings.
There are many activities that can be enjoyed in La Paz and nearby towns:
- Walk, run or jog on the Malecon (Boardwalk)
- Visit one of the many nearby beaches
- Boat trip to swim/snorkel with Whale Sharks (if in season) +/- 4 hours
- Boat trip to swim/snorkel at sea lion’s colony +/- 6 hours
- Boat trip or camping at Isla Espiritu Santo from 8 hours to 2days (if you decide to extend your trip)
- Kayaks or SUPs rentals at the bay
- Bicycles rentals
- Hiking trails
- Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Visit museums in La Paz
- Day trip to old mining town of El Triunfo (cafes, shops, restaurants, and museum)
- Day trip to charming colonial town of Todos Santos (cafes, shops, restaurants, and famous Hotel California)
*Intermediate/Advanced students will be able to do all of this with more facility and fluency utilizing more idiomatic expressions, complex tenses (conditional, present & past progressive, present & past perfect tenses), as well as the subjunctive mood and its various tenses.
All courses approved for CME credits
- This program has been reviewed and is acceptable for 45 prescribed hours by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
- This program is also approved by the American College of Emergency Physicians for 45 hours of Category 1 CMEs.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson and Rios Associates.
The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson designates this live activity for a maximum of 45 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Once registered in a La Paz, México class, you are welcome to repeat any of our 4-Day seminars (at the same level) as often as you would like in AZ, CA, or NV over a 1 year period of time for only $499 per refresher course.
- Once registered in any La Paz, México class, you are welcome to repeat any of our 4 day La Paz, México seminars for only $699 (physicians) or $599 (Residents, NPs, PAs, RNs, etc. per refresher course within a 2 year period.
For pricing information or to Register please go to the Schedule & Registration page